Wednesday 18 February 2015

Review ; The Versions of Us by Laura Barnett

I was sent this beautiful (I mean look at it, that cover is gorgeous) book to review,  by Rebecca Gray, Senior Publicity Manager for Orion books.

Now I'm going to blog about it. Where to start?

Well, firstly this is a wonderful, exceptional book by Laura Barnett. I loved it. It is her first novel and she deserves a medal. I expect she will get several.

It is a love story told three ways. Now as I writer I've tried to write a story two ways and believe me it's not easy. To write a story from three different perspectives is the literary equivalent of running a marathon, fixing your make up and tossing a pancake all at the same time.

There are many 'time slip' stories out there and I've enjoyed a lot of them. The Kate Mosse books are among my favourites. The Versions of Us brilliantly explores the moments when we make a decision, choose a path in life, and therefore other ways are closed forever. The 1998 film Sliding Doors examined this idea with great skill. This book is way beyond that in terms of complication and it pulls no punches.

What if a different choice had been made?
How would our lives have turned out?
What would we have achieved?
Who else would have been affected by our new course?
Ultimately, did we make the right choice?
And what is the 'right' choice?

The story of Eva and Jim spans several decades from 1958 when they meet in Cambridge and fall in love. Life does not work out as the reader assumes. Other people enter the story and influence their lives. In the three versions, there is love, disappointment, joy, betrayal and loyalty interwoven with human weakness and also strength.

The book follows Eva and Jim's three different lives, the connection between them interwoven with considerable skill. During the writing process Laura Barnett must have had a wall papered with post it notes!

I read a lot and a good book involves me in the character so that I care about them. Many times, I have abandoned a book because I didn't care, the main character deserved a slap for being so stupid or their story was too predictable.

Laura Barnett has created convincing and likeable people in this novel and a strong story. I really wanted Eva and Jim to be happy, to find each other, to live out the best life path they could.

I am also guilty of speed reading. I couldn't do this with The Versions of Us, I had to read it properly in order to understand the subtlety in the plot. The 'voice' in this book is super.

I recommend this book without reservation. When you see it, (it will be published on 4th June) buy it!
It's been a pleasure to read it.












No comments:

Post a Comment